Absolutely! Here’s a comprehensive checklist for individuals looking into buying packing and on-site moving services in California:
- Ensure the moving company has a valid license, especially a CalT number, which is a requirement for legally operating movers in California.
- Check if the company offers comprehensive insurance options for potential damages or losses.
Estimate and Pricing:
- Request an in-home or virtual survey for an accurate estimate. Beware of quotes that seem too low or too good to be true.
- Understand the detailed breakdown of services offered – packing, loading, transporting, unloading, and optional services.
Equipment and Packing Supplies:
- Confirm the quality of packing materials and whether specialized equipment, such as hoisting or padding, is available.
- Ensure the company’s packers and movers are trained, especially in handling fragile or specialty items.
- Ask for references or check online reviews, especially ones specific to California or your locality.
- Clarify any potential hidden costs – like charges for moving bulky items, staircase fees, or long carry fees.
Cancellation or Rescheduling Policy:
- Understand the terms in case you need to change the moving date.
Specialty Item Handling:
- Confirm how they handle special items, such as pianos, artwork, or electronics.
- If you’re just relocating items within a premise (on-site moving), ensure you’re clear on their procedures.
- Check their safety standards, especially if they’re compliant with California-specific requirements.
- If there’s a gap between moving out and moving in, inquire about their short-term or long-term storage facilities.
- Ensure all agreements are in writing, clearly stating the pick-up and delivery dates, total cost, and any other specifics.
- Determine the process for claims or addressing any concerns after the move is completed.
Having this checklist in hand can provide peace of mind and assurance that you’re making an informed decision when selecting a moving company in California. Always prioritize clear communication and ensure all agreements are documented.